Monday 25 June 2007

Bikes, Baggage and Black Eyes

Has it only been a few days? I feel I have aged significantly as a result of driving on Delhi and Noida's crazy roadways. At the same time, it is totally thrilling to cruise around on the back of a scooter. Even though it is 100+ degrees, I have never felt so cool. To get a better sense of driving in India, check out the pictures in this blog, India Ink.

Not much has changed on other fronts. I am still battling with British Airways over my baggage. Even after two more hours at the airport and six hours on the phone and online, I am trying to remain respectful but my conflict resolution skills are being tested. However, I have not yet resorted to chaining myself to the luggage counter at the Delhi airport and screaming obscenities while scarfing down duty-free chocolate and booze.

As for my first weekend, it was great. Being spared "Delhi Belly" so far, I have devoured a wide range of North and South Indian food. I am getting used to the spiciness and eating vegetarian. And the mangoes are amazing!

My sister would also be proud that I have visited the local malls. Not my first choice but I really needed underwear! It was amazing; 5 floors of consumer goods, complete with movie theaters, beef-less McDonalds (Home of the McVeggie Burger and Chicken Masala Big Mac) and distorted Celine Dion blasting in the background.

Last but not least, I have two black eyes. Through my work colleague, I have connected with the ex-pat scene in Delhi. Along with young "representatives" from the Russian, Canadian, Dutch, U.S. and Australian embassies, I played Ultimate Frisbee on Saturday afternoon in a gorgeous park in Delhi. Thanks to a head-on collision (literally), I smashed up my nose and now look quite thuggish. But at least I have clean clothing!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Hey Jenna, your almost sister here. I just spent the weekend in Santa Fe which was about as exciting as my summer will get. I'm heading back to the most normal city in america in a few days--so I'll be thrilled to live vicariously through this blog.

Be easy with the frisbee! -Ash

Unknown said...

I'm scared for you....stop beating up cows.