Thursday 21 June 2007

In a Cow's Eye

I have finally arrived in India. I got in at midnight last night, only to find out that my bag did not make it. British Airways says that it could be two days, maybe three. Who needs clean clothes anyway - especially when you are hot, sweaty and dirty!

The apartment is fine, complete with a few more roommates than I initially expected, including the 6-inch cockroaches that habitat the bathroom. After a more restful night (beds are much more comfortable than airport benches!), I headed off for the first day of work. It was the craziest commute I have ever had. Cars, buses, scooters, motorcycles, bikes, pedestrians, dogs, goats and cows going every which way, all honking, barking or mooing at once. I rode a motorized rickshaw - packed with people - and very rickety. I thought I was going to die. But the best part - I saw a three-eyed cow. The poor guy was sitting up in the back of a gaudishly-decorated cart, mooing away as everyone came up to admire him. I could not tell who was more freaked out - the cow or the observers. You cannot make this stuff up.

No comments: