Friday 22 June 2007

What is Drishtee?


I have never had to wear a uniform. I did not go to private school and I have not worked at McDonalds or Best Buy. However, after four days in the same clothing, I feel like I have an unofficial Indian uniform. I did purchase a new shirt so I look more local (and smell less pungent) but still waiting on British Airways for my luggage…

On a more positive note, I have learned a lot about Drishtee, the organization I am working for. For your reading pleasure, I have added a few links with stories about what we are doing as well as a link to the main page. Although the initial focus was on technology, Drishtee now uses a wide range of models and products to make a positive impact on rural villagers in India. Using a network of 1500+ local entrepreneurs, we provide everything from cell phones and reading glasses to loans and computer classes. The photo above is of a Drishtee computer kiosk.

For my summer assignment, I will work on our English and computer education. For less than 20 U.S. dollars, we provide two months of beginning or intermediate English education, including classroom teaching, computer learning and interactive exercises. For less than 100 U.S. dollars, we provide an array of computer education classes to help villagers become more familiar with computers or to prepare more experienced students for careers in programming or web design.

I will primarily work at Drishtee’s headquarters in Noida, right outside of Delhi. I will also visit many of our rural kiosks to better understand the reality of these operations. I hope to sit in on a class or two…maybe I will learn more about Excel than I did in Modeling Class last year. Just kidding.

As for right now, I am asking lots and lots of questions. Luckily, everyone at Drishtee is more than willing to put up with my endless queries. Let’s hope they do not get tired of me.

1 comment:

toni said...

Jenna,
You're awesome.
We look forward to reading your journals.
Love and God bless,
Toni